Friday, November 6, 2009

Self-reflection for the oral presentation

Firstly, I would like to thank for all the questions in the Q&A. It made me realize that there are a lot more to consider making this idea happen. For my group presentation, there are many areas for improvement.

I found the structure/outline of the presentation was not good enough. We used the same structure/outline as that of the proposal (of course with the survey information added). I felt that the sequence of information presented was logic; however, not cohesive. So, it reduced the persuasiveness of our proposal. I am not sure what we could have done differently though.

Also, we did rehearse together a few times. However, I felt that the transitions between presenters could be improved. As Michelle said, the take home messages were not clear during the presentation. Actually, our “take home” messages were put into the conclusion slide. I think we should have named the slide Take home messages instead of Conclusion, and the presenter should have emphasized that these are the take home messages. Could that work?

During the presentation, I think I was and looked nervous. My mind just went blank so I was not fluent at some pointsJ and I spoke too fast sometimes. Actually, I did not use the pointer effectively. I realized this when I saw how the Rocks used the pointer to direct the attention of the audience today. In the future, I could work on controlling my emotions, improving my language fluency, and paying more attention to the structure of the presentation.


This is the first time when I am a leader role in a group project. I think my group mates are generally good. However, we did have some miscommunications, different ways of working, and different expectations. For the future group projects, it is better to discuss about the expectations and working’s style of each member to reach common expectations and create mutual understandings

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very detailed reflection, Van. Thank you. I'll leave most of my comments for later, but I would say that your "take home" messages would have been clearer if you had emphasized those points more in the course of the presentation, not just in the conclusion.

    In any case, I really appreciate your hard work! It was an interesting presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Van

    I felt that you did a good job presenting your part! You did speak clearly, have enough eye contact with the audience and managed to bring across the points you intended to make quite fluently. It was an interesting and infomative presentation. Do not be too hard on yourself! (:

    Regards
    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Van,

    For persuasiveness, I didn't think that it was the cohesiveness that lowered it. I think that the tone of the presentation was partly responsible. I enjoyed the comical pictures and slides but it was rather inappropriate for a formal presentation and it might put off as not being serious.

    Overall I thought that you presented well, though the slides could be improve further. Some parts were hard to read due to the small fonts. I find it hard to look at the pictures too as some of them were slanting.

    Cheers
    Amos Lim

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your presentation was actually really good. Looking at your presentation and the Wonderwomen's presentation made me feel like putting in more effort to not look bad when presenting after you. Your group's presentation was really detailed. It showed that your group put plenty of work into it.

    But, I agree with Amos about the pictures. I don't think the coffee picture was totally inappropriate, since it helped your point on why drinking coffee isn't as good as taking a nap. But, I think you had a cartoon picture when you were showing your suggestion that student lounges include shower stalls. I thought that picture was unnecessary and unprofessional. I know you can't show a picture of a real person showering (haha), but I think you should have just left the slide imageless instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sister,

    You did perform pretty well during your presentation.
    I understand your stress during the presentation that affected your voice projection and the non verbal cues as well. I see pretty serious when looking at now indeed. :). Just my own thought.

    Regarding to the improvements for presentations, I think the order of presenters in your presentation was pretty complex and caused the lack of cohesiveness. For example, you moved in and out, Rachel moved in and out.. sometimes and it was just like chop the tree into 10 parts. Yet it only needs 5 chopped parts instead.

    The take away points should not just in the conclusion or indicated by the "take away points" heading, they should be emphasized along with the presentation and repeated when possible and necessary actually.

    That's all about my thought of your presentations. :)

    See you in class, Sister.

    Jake

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Van,

    Wish we could meet again on campus. It was great exprience to work with you in the proposal.And it was also fun to talk with you. Haha.

    I liked the way you orgnize your resume and you always talk with confidence.I learnt it from you.
    Wish all the best in final year studies in NUS!
    Will miss u~~

    ReplyDelete