Friday, September 4, 2009

Job Application Letter























September 2, 2009

Dr. Hongyan Wang
Laboratory of Neural Stem Cells
Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School
Singapore

Dear Dr Hongyan Wang,

I am writing to introduce myself and express my interest in working at Laboratory of Neural Stem Cells at Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School as a Research Assistant. My Professor, Micheal Raghunath from the Tissue Modulation Laboratory, has recommended the position as an excellent employment opportunity. I feel I am a good candidate for this position because, as mentioned in my resume, I have a strong background in Cellular Biology, research skills, good communication skills and I have a strong interest in neural stem cells research.

As a Bioengineering student doing an honors project at the National University of Singapore, I believe that I could produce outstanding research work in the field of neural stem cells as a research assistant.

First of all, I have gained a strong background in Cellular Biology through intensive courses about the latest knowledge in stem cell and cellular biology research in National University of Singapore and University of Waterloo, Canada. The acquired knowledge would be very essential for the research assistant position working on neural stem cells.

Moreover, through my summer internship at the Laboratory of Stem Cells and Tissue Engineering, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University, China, I have acquired key technical skills for stem cells research such as cell culture, microscope techniques and polymerase reaction chain (real time and reverse transcript). I believe that good technical skills are necessary to produce excellent research work

Also, I mastered how to do a systematical and critical review of the current and latest knowledge in a research field. I gained extensive knowledge about stem cells and research methodology to investigate the molecular mechanisms of differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. These qualities would help me to thrive in an intensive research environment.

I am fluent in English and I have good writing skills in English. In addition, I have a strong interest in cellular biology and want to work to enhance human understanding. I would also like to devise new cures and treatments of neural diseases. Under your guidance, I look forward to learning more about the molecular mechanisms of self-renewal and differentiation processes in flies and mammals.

Thank you for considering my application.

I look forward to meeting with you to discuss.

Sincerely,

Do Thi Hai Van

29 Prince George’s Park
Blk29 Level 5 Room I
Singapore 118424
Phone: 83464338
Email: u0605620@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. Hey Van!

    Quite an impressive letter I must say! Good that you included all the relevant experiences that you have in this field. That will greatly help you in securing this position (:

    However, apart from your working experiences, perhaps you could highlight a few more qualities about yourself? Perhaps, your working style... and what you would expect from a job like this? Something like that (:

    Oh and I dont really understand the part about enhancing human understanding, could you give abit more elaboration on that too?

    Yupp, but overall, you've got an impressive letter there! (:

    Cheers,
    Sherlynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Van,

    I must say I am very impressed by your vast experiences. I guess you should be able to secure your first job easily with all that :)

    I agree with Sherlynn that you should sell yourself a little bit more by highlighting your qualities; the interpersonal skills you've learned from each experience. Team work is important too when you work in the research field, no? :)

    What I think you can improve on is the last paragraph. You said you have strong interest in cell biology and would like to devise new cures for neural diseases. Maybe you can include some of your views about it. For example, a disease which troubles you a lot, i.e. Parkinson's. You might have visited the old folks home or seen some close relatives suffering from it so you don't want to see that happen to others especially your future generations. Hehe, I just thought when you said you want to devise a cure for neural disease sound a tad general and most applicants might be saying that too.

    Toodles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable.Great posts. I love this article. This Is The New Medical alternative widely used in Europe For Over 20 Years and we are doing work in European Placenta Stem Cell Therapies,Stem cell therapy for disabilities,Stem Cell Therapy with natural implants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post will be posting this on my blog today keep up the good work.Visit game sims 4 skill cheats in happy island living launch week.

    ReplyDelete